Wednesday, September 08, 2004

the Path of Surprise

last week the eye doc told me upping my prescription would not help my vision until i had The Cataract Removed

today i googled Macular Degeneration and eye stuff like that / turns out cataract removal is common and simple and not as scary as i imagined / prolly not as horrible as all the biopsies i underwent last year for the cervical cancer

just in case i can avoid western medical technology i looked in my nutritional healing book to see what supplements and/or herbs would be beneficial to the eyes / browsing leads to the topic of Memory Loss

hmmmm / recently i left the keys in the ignition of the Cruiser and left her running while i went into the super market / i was so suprised when i came out of the store and found her humming away / truly i have entered memory lapse land

i read that an exercise to increase mental alertness and therefore boost your memory is this : hold your breath for 30 seconds every hour for 30 days

i need a watch ! with a second hand ! i want to hold my breath and count the seconds ! see how long i can do it !

first i went over to Rim Cyclery to see maybe they have some sports watches / the young man with the memorable hair sent me to YamaSan the local pawn shop

although this shop is on my street only a block away i had never been in there / oh so many wonderful things like guns and tv sets and boom boxes and neat collector items

in the rear of the store an elderly asian man fixes watches ! can you fix my great aunt Maudie's antique watch, i asked

bring it in, he said, and in five minutes i was back with it / some time ago i took this watch out of the safe deposit box and wound it up and it began to run and i wore it until it gave up the ghosts / i always loved aunt Maudie's pretty gold watch / i despaired of ever having it run again / it was like a charm to me and i felt its loss as i felt the loss of the woman who had pretty much raised me

hmmm, he said, a solid gold case, valuable in its time and still is

he will fix it in a week for $20.00

my cup runneth over

then i went to our teeenyweenynonWalmart and got a cheap watch with a second hand

actually it is quite hard to hold my breath for 30 seconds

i guess i will work up to it / i can do 15 seconds / i hope i never fall overboard or through the ice this winter when we skate the lake (if that happens i will need more than to be able to hold my breath)

watching the clock should go a long way to restoring my memory and making me more alert

ya think ?

No comments: